Re: [O] Update org-mode

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] Update org-mode
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:13:32 +0200

In the Makefile, what settings do you have under these headings?

# Name of your emacs binary
# Where local software is found
# Where local lisp files go.
# Where info files go.

I'm one of the oddballs who compile and install every new Org version, because in the start I thought that was the "right" way, and it's become a habit.

The Makefile needs to point to the right paths for your Aquamacs application and its site-lisp and info subdirectories. I don't use Aquamacs, but mutatis mutandis it's probably similar to that for GNU Emacs on the Mac, namely:

 # Name of your emacs binary
 EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/emacs

 # Where local software is found
 prefix=/Applications

 # Where local lisp files go.
 lispdir = $(prefix)/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp

 # Where info files go.
 infodir = $(prefix)/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info

I quickly found that git pulls would overwrite my hand-edited Makefile, and a hand-edited Makefile caused conflicts on the next pull, and I didn't understand git at all.

So I did a shell script that pulls org-mode, copies the Makefile, applies a patch with the above changes to the Makefile, compiles and installs, and then switches back the Makefile copy. Works for me.

Yours,
Christian