[O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:41:40 -0400

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>  * Main headline
>>    Some thoughts expressed here
>>
>>  ** Subheading 1
>>     More thoughts expressed here
>>  ** Subheading 2
>>     More thoughts expressed here
>>  ** Main headline (cont.)
>>
>>   I would like to have this text part of 'Main headline', not of
>>   'Subheading 2'
>
> I don't understand the logic in this.

There is no logic in it. ;) It is simply a hack to prevent the text at
the bottom from being folded into "Subheading 2". If anything, it
illustrates that terminating sub-entries in this way only has meaning
when drafting a paper, not when publishing/exporting it. Presumably one
would remove the "Main headline (cont.)" heading when exporting the
piece.

AFAICT, the OP is chiefly concerned about visibility when drafting --
i.e., he does not want all the text following "Subheading 2" be folded
into that subheading. As pointed out by others in the thread, there is
no way for html or LaTeX export to display the sort of nested logic the
OP requests.

Books and articles have the same logic as outlines; sections are only
terminated by another section of an equal or higher level. I think it is
natural that org-mode (an outlining tool) adheres to this logic, even if
it means that terminated, nested subsections (à la xml) are not
possible.

> I do however, strongly support the idea of terminating headings, but for
> other reasons.
>
> My problem is ending * COMMENT headings.
>
> This sketch the issue (in terms of LaTeX export):
> #+begin_src emacs-org
> * COMMENT This is were I put all my export settings, various notes and such
>
>   it could be placed as the very last headline, but that is somewhat
>   annoying an illogical to me.

Moving it to the end of the outline would indeed solve these problems.
But I believe it could still be the first headline. One solution would
be to move any text prior to the first section above *all* the headlines
(including the COMMENT headline).

If you prefer, you could create a "pre-section" headline and remove it,
but not its contents, via an export hook.

Best,
Matt