[O] Test framework needed

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: [O] Test framework needed
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:01:48 +0200

Hi

I was bitten again from an unintended regression in org-mode, and that
the second time in two weeks.

I am probably not the right person to suggest this, but I think it is
time to introduce a test framework for org-mode, to ensure that the
(without doubt useful) approach to develop org-mode does not lead to
regressions.

org is, as I see it, complex and is getting broader and broader - time
management, task management, literate programming, recipes (I like the
idea), all have different (possibly contradicting?) requirements. And I
think it is getting more and more difficult for new contributors to have
the overview to make sure that something they are contributing actually
does not break something else.

As I think it would be *really bad* idea to split org, I think that it
needs to be assured that no regressions are introduced.

Unfortunately I have no idea about elisp and can therefore not
contribute to the framework itself, but I guess all of us could
contribute small org files as test cases and expected resulting outputs
(exports, tangling, agenda files, ...). If the framework could
accommodate those, everybody could help to bring together a (definitely
not perfect) test framework, that would bring org at least one step
closer to error-free growth.

I have to add I really love org and babel and have no idea what I would
use instead for literal programming in R.

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)