Re: [O] Bug: Recurring items NEVER show up in timeline unaccompanied

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Recurring items NEVER show up in timeline unaccompanied
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:05:27 +0200

On 24.3.2011, at 18:31, Mark S wrote:

> Hello Carsten et al,
>
> --- On Thu, 3/24/11, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 1. Be satisfied with the way things are, just realize
>>   that repeaters only show up on the first date when
>>   the event happens for the first time.
>
> This would mean that you could never *trust* the
> timeline when dealing with events more than a week or
> two out. You would always have that lingering worry
> that you forgot to bump one of the repeaters.
>
>> 2. Use the agenda, restricted to a single file, for a
>>   time range you specify.  This has the advantage
>>   that also diary sexps will work properly - the
>>   timeline currently has no way to deal with these.
>
> This would be great if there were a "sparse"
> agenda. There isn't a way to make the agenda not show
> empty days is there? As it is, if you make an agenda
> extending out a year, you will have to wade through
> several hundred lines worth of empty days.
>
>> 3. Change the section of the timeline code that
>>   produces the list of interesting dates.
>
> That seems like a good solution. Is it difficult?
>
>> 4. Define a variable that will make the timeline
>>   always look at *every* date in the range covered
>>   by the file.  And live with the fact that
>>   constructing the view might take long.  Maybe it
>>   will not even to terribly long if you really use
>>   this view for single projects.  This would be easy
>>   to implement.
>
> This would work too, I think. Creating an agenda that
> goes out one year only took about 3 seconds on my
> not-state-of-the-art machine. Presumably the timeline
> would be faster, since it wouldn't produce all the
> extra gap lines.
>
> Actually, when I tried to make a year long agenda using
> v-y I spent just about as much getting past the "are
> you sure" screens as it took to build the agenda.
>
> The ideal solution would be that the Timeline view
> would process dates exactly like the agenda, including
> multiple-files, but display them like the traditional
> timeline, with ranges of dates omitted.

This is already possible, by binding the variable
org-agenda-show-all-dates to nil around the call to make
the agenda (for examples using the options section of a
custom agenda command).  So the only missing piece for
your preferred solution is the determination of starting
dates and end date in  a useful and automatic way.  Maybe
I can take a look some time this week and see if
there is a simple way to replace the time line with
something better.

- Carsten