Re: [O] Re: latex export settings in init files

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Re: latex export settings in init files
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:09:24 -0400

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > By the way, for the types of customisation you are doing above (obviously, I
> > don't know what you have omitted), I find it easier to define an org
> > template that has the appropriate #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS and #+LATEX_HEADER
> > lines.
>
> I guess that you mean it "if the number of custom LaTeX lines is < 5 or 10",
> something like that.
>
> Even in such a case, I would opt the OP for his own document class (or style
> file), so that every custom is only made once, in one place. And, would he
> recompile his Org doc later, he would benefit from all the updated features he
> put in his class -- if nothing is contradictorily changed...
>
> Your argument is maybe about being "easier". True. And false: after all,
> what's a class or style file, everything you want except for the first few
> lines, and the last one, no?
>
> (not trying to say the opposite of you ;-) but give the OP another "sound of
> clock" -- maybe you think as well at other points I'm missing here?)

It depends on the comfort level of the user with org vs LaTeX as
well. If s/he wants to touch LaTeX as little as possible, Eric's
solution (combined with an #+INCLUDE file perhaps) is quite general and
it is perhaps more versatile: adding a class to org-export-latex-classes
buries it in some emacs initialization file; IMO, that's harder to
change (and find when you need to change it)[fn:1] but it may be the
appropriate way to deal with a more rigid LaTeX class setup that you
*always* (for some value of "always") want to follow.

BTW, does #+INCLUDE incorporate a path mechanism? That would go some
way into making this choice a "really doesn't matter which way you
go".

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] But I freely admit that my emacs init setup is rather baroque,
thereby making things like that more difficult than they really need to
be. I also am somewhat allergic to customize (particularly when the spec
is complicated - as it is for org-export-latex-classes: I go cross-eyed
when I look at the customize screen for it), so I tend to avoid it in
most situations.