[O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:21:06 +0200

William Gardella <address@hidden> writes:
> I think org-mode should aim to be flexible enough to accomodate all
> writers, writing tasks, and writing styles.

With flexibility comes complexity, which runs counter to "org should be
simple".

>  Maybe for this particular issue it would be enough to give org-mode
> an explicit way to "close" a heading--an Org-wide equivalent to
> \end{section} in LaTeX, say.

There already is: you simply start a new section for each "thought",
preferrably wih no whitespace after the heading so it becomes a visual
unit that just folds away when outlined.  I've been doing that with
Outline Mode and AuCTeX and it is actually much easier to do in orgmode.
Once you get your thoughts into the proper order by sorting the
"headlines", you can then insert, remove, edit, de- and promote the
headings to finalize the document into something more readable.  In my
experience, there rarely is a need to change the first level structure.
However, if you are organizing the structure of your document while the
content is still largely absent, then (as has already been suggested) it
is easier in orgmode to do that in a list.  List items can be converted
into headings and vice versa quite easily.

Regards,
Achim.