Re: [O] Outlook replacement

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Outlook replacement
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:19:08 -0400

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 21:11:02 +0000
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The short answer is to use *Emacs* for your email,
>
> How do you (as in all users using Emacs as their email client) deal with
> unreliable networks? When I used to use tramp over a particularly
> slow/unreliable network day before, I found every time tramp got stuck
> emacs would hang too until tramp could recover. I thought it was
> because emacs is still not multi-threaded (am I correct?), so a stuck
> process would bring make the entire session unresponsive. This was more
> annoying when I was running `emacs --daemon'. So as a conpromise, I
> resorted to using plugins (wherever I could) to use emacs as my
> alternate editor. So far this has worked very well in Firefox (It's all
> text), Thunderbird (Alternate Editor) and claws-mail (native support).
>
> Is there any resolution to these issues? If so, I would really love to
> try an Emacs based email client. Of course as always if my understanding
> is incorrect please feel free to correct me. :)

[I sound like a broken record]

I use fetchmail and postfix. They run in the background dealing with
incoming and outgoing mail resp. - as far as emacs is concerned, all
mail is local. If the network is gone, fetchmail tries and fails, so I
don't see any new mail. I can send mail but it stays local until postfix
can connect to my relay and send it out. emacs does not know anything
about nor does it care about the network outage (well,
org-google-weather causes the agenda to be slow, so I know something is
up :-) )

Nick