[O] Comma-protection of Org blocks (was: [bug] Problem with Worg (html?)

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [O] Comma-protection of Org blocks (was: [bug] Problem with Worg (html?) publishing)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:00:11 +0100

Hi Eric (and Eric, and Dan, and ...),

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> In the org-beamer tutorial (Worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.org),
> I have the following:
>
> ,----
> |
> | #+BEGIN_Example
> | ,** Two columns
> |
> | ,*** A block
> :B_ignoreheading:BMCOL:
> |     :PROPERTIES:
> |     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
> |     :BEAMER_col: 0.4
> |     :END:
> |     - this slide consists of two columns
> |     - the first (left) column has no heading and consists of text
> |     - the second (right) column has an image and is enclosed in an
> |       @example@ block
> |
> | ,*** A screenshot
> :BMCOL:B_example:
> |     :PROPERTIES:
> |     :BEAMER_col: 0.6
> |     :BEAMER_env: example
> |     :END:
> | ,    #+ATTR_LATEX: width=\textwidth
> |     [[file://../../images/org-beamer/a-simple-slide.png]]
> | #+END_Example
> `----
>
> Note the second last line of the example which sets the latex attribute
> for the following image.  On export to HTML for publishing on the Worg
> website, this line has magically *disappeared*!  The ',' is supposed to
> protect this line but instead it disappears.

This makes me think of a request I briefly discussed with Carsten and Bastien,
the day of Fosdem.

The "comma-protection" causes troubles when M-q comes into play.

For the sake of clarity -- I hope --, an example (for my Isodoc letters in Org):

    * Body
    #+srcname: body
    #+begin_src org :results latex
    ,Ik ben het totaalbedrag van de omzet 2010 vergeten op te nemen. De
ontbrekende
    ,gegeven voor mijn kleine onderneming is 0,00 EUR (nul euro).
    #+end_src

    * Composed letter
:noexport:
    #+begin_src latex :noweb yes :tangle yes
    \documentclass[11pt]{isodoc}

    \begin{document}

\letter[language=dutch,to={\firstname~\lastname\\\addressi\\\postcode~\town\\\country},openingcomma={,}]{%
    <<body()>>
    }
    \end{document}
    #+end_src

The above "body" block is converted to LaTeX and its result is tangled into
the Isodoc LaTeX letter (here, voluntary kept to an ultra-minimal).

The prefix "," is not kept in the process, that's what is expected. But the
trouble is if I press M-q, because I add words to the sentences directly in
the whole Org buffer: pressing M-q will move all the leading "," everywhere in
the text, and then they will be transported up to the TeX file. Not what I
want.

The above user mistake (pressing M-q, what puts the leading commas everywhere,
letting them loose their initial meaning) -- is it really an error? -- would
have had no impact (or much much less), would the prefix be a space, for
example...

Hence, questions:

- would it be possible to replace the comma by something more neutral (maybe a
  space, or a non-breaking space for example) for HTML/LaTeX exports?

- would it be possible to put the "protecting prefix" only when needed
  (automatic detection when TAB'ing), or let it be specified by the user?

- is there maybe an alternative for the above Org/TeX problem (conversion +
  tangling)?

Best regards,
  Seb

--