[O] Re: advice: how to export a list without exporting all entries

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] Re: advice: how to export a list without exporting all entries
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:55:59 +0000

Nicolas <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would like to move to a system in which all the actions are numbered
>> sequentially.  At present, they are numbered sequentially within a list
>> for each meeting.  I would like to have a single list which grows over
>> time. However, when I distribute the minutes of the latest meeting, I
>> would like to only have those actions which are not yet complete listed
>> in the document I circulate.  The complication is that I want those
>> actions that have actually been done still in the list but not exported.
>>
>> Is there any way to /comment/ out individual list items (whether bullet
>> or enumerated) on export?  I export typically to latex but this need not
>> be a constraint.  Simply putting [ ] versus [X] boxes on the items is not
>> satisfactory as the list would be very long if all items were included in
>> the export.
>>
>> Is there some hook that I can intercept that would enable this?  Can I
>> encapsulate individual list items into latex macros with the status of
>> the [ ] or [X] boxes?  I am more than happy to write latex code as
>> required!  Or even, at a push, elisp code...
>
> I'm not sure to fully understand what you want, but couldn't you
> delete-matching-lines toggled check-boxes in a copy of the original
> buffer, and export that?
>
> Regards,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think you did understand me and, yes, that
would work, but only *if* each list entry were a single line.
Unfortunately, I tend to fill my list paragraphs so that each item in
the list is often several lines and, in fact, often several paragraphs
(especially when it concerns minutes of a meeting and resulting
actions).  delete-matching-lines would delete the first line of a list
entry only.

I need to be able to "delete" whole list entries automatically based on
their status, whether in a copy or during export.

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.113.g9010a.dirty)