[O] Re: Org minor mode in mail-mode

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [O] Re: Org minor mode in mail-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:53:50 -0400

René <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is the the configuration I run
>
>    (defun turn-on-full-org-mailing ()
>      (turn-on-orgstruct++)
>      (turn-on-orgtbl)
>      (load "org-html-mail"))
>
>    (add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'turn-on-full-org-mailing)
>
> Unfortunately with this, calling M-q (fill-paragraph) right after the
> header separator ("--text follows this line--") leads to filling the
> header along with the first paragraph of my mail.

[...]

> Any idea on how to make use of org minor mode in mail-mode and still
> be able to fill-paragraph without impacting mail headers?

The org minor modes set the local value of fill-paragraph-function to
org-fill-paragraph. You can override this by adding a line to your hook
function:

    (defun turn-on-full-org-mailing ()
      (turn-on-orgstruct++)
      (turn-on-orgtbl)
      (load "org-html-mail")
      (setq fill-paragraph-function 'message-fill-paragraph))

I'm not sure how this will affect calling fill on lists or tables,
however.

A proper fix would probably add a test to org-fill-paragraph to see if
we are in message mode.

Best,
Matt