[O] Re: org-src-fontify-natively makes things very, very slow

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [O] Re: org-src-fontify-natively makes things very, very slow
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:20:00 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>> Maybe this is (partly?) due to the overlay I added:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>                 (overlay-put (make-overlay beg1 block-end)
>>                              'face 'org-block-background))
>> #+end_src
>
> This could indeed be one cause, especially depending on what this does when
> there is no block-end line, or at least not anywhere near in the buffer. I
> seem to get a slowdown when I have a situation like this:
>
> #+begin_example
>
> [... some text ...]
> #+begin_src somelanguage
> [... text which is part of the source block...]
> <point here>
>
> [... lots of other text ...]
> [... including other source blocks]
>
> #+end_example
>
> where there is no matching #+end_src or, more precisely, the next #+end_src
> line is one that does not belong to this current source block. Your search
> (in org.el) for the end of the block assumes that it does have the end
> statement in place already. I'm not sure how to fix this because it's an
> ill-defined situation.

You say "your search..." but I only added the overlay-put command... and I
must admit this whole block is difficult to follow (so many cases).

> It may be worthwhile making the overlay optional? Although I must admit that
> I like it!

I simply can't live without it, either.

> My solution, by the way, is to insert the #+end_src line immediately upon
> writing a #+begin_src line and then back up a line to start writing the
> code.

"My" solution is even simpler: just use a yasnippet template, that prompts you
for the language and puts the begin/end upfront:

#name : #+begin_src...#+end_src
# --
#+srcname: ${1:name}
#+begin_src ${2:language} $3