[O] Re: Slow movement in large buffers

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] Re: Slow movement in large buffers
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:09:20 +0000

Hello,

following up on this issue, I have just run into it again.  I'm editing
a not very large document and suddenly things slowed down, mostly but
not exclusively for "next-line":

next-line                                                     18
2.1547069999  0.1197059444
previous-line                                                 19
0.4066669999  0.0214035263
org-mode-flyspell-verify                                      16
5.299...e-05  3.312...e-06

This happened when I started a new source code block (gnuplot, to be
exact) but didn't type in the end_src line for a while.  The problem
seems to be due to font-locking and it tries to font-lock the whole
document initially.  When I eventually get around to typing the end_src
line, it font-locks correctly but things are slow thereafter.  There
seems to be some hysteresis loop in the code...

If I kill the buffer and reload the file, everything is fine.

next-line                                                     17
0.0655900000  0.0038582352
previous-line                                                 17
0.0115249999  0.0006779411
org-mode                                                      1
0.007178      0.007178
org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks                             25
0.0022920000  9.168...e-05
org-set-startup-visibility                                    1
0.001619      0.001619
org-raise-scripts                                             25
0.0013889999  5.555...e-05

Dramatic difference!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.38.gf8c6.dirty)