Re: [O] dates before 1970

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: [O] dates before 1970
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:38:34 -0500

> So I am not sure what 64 bit systems do now or in the future, but
> it seems that we need to live with a restriction for now.
> Maybe this should be documented somewhere.
>
> - Carsten

Most 64-bit systems use a 64-bit int.  All of the 64-bit Linux systems
that I've used use a signed 64-bit int.  Some systems use a 64-bit
unsigned int. Some use a double.  The only way to know for sure is to
look at their definition of time_t in time.h, as provided by the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_t is as good a starting point as any.

The precise words from the Open Group Base standard are:
        time_t and clock_t shall be integer or real-floating types.
The usage of time_t in various functions is specified, but range and
type is not defined.

R Horn