Re: [O] Org expert mode?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Org expert mode?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:44:57 +0100

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Rustom Mody <address@hidden> wrote:
> Bastien wrote:
>> I've just added the ability to run a custom function for bulk agenda actions
>> (thanks to Puneeth for the patch!)  This is clearly for
>> power users -- or those who are willing to take the time to find functions
>> that we might document in Worg.
>
>> So I naturally thought of something like an "Org Expert mode": when turned
>> off, the UI would *not* give access to complex features
>> and perhaps display more helpful messages on simple ones; when turned on,
>> Org would have a less verbose UI (think of the C-c C-e
>> window, do we really want to *read* it all the times?) and give access to
>> all the complex features.
>
> Org is a large and diverse system and something to help (us perennial
> :-) newbies is always welcome.
>
> But I wonder if there are really too many experts as against users
> whose patterns of usage are expert in one area and noob in others.
> For example consider: Using org for:
> * Brainstorming
> * GTD, mobile org
> * Publishing
> * Literate Programming (via babel)
> * Statistical analysis (spreadsheet, R)
>
> Is it not likely that most people are going to be expert in (at most)
> a few of these and not really expert in the others?

I completely agree - and that is the direction my suggestion is aiming at.
Somebody using org mode for literate programming might be an expert in
literal programming with R, but no idea (yet?) about GTD and mobile
org.
So a system which provides usage pattern specific menues and enabled /
disabled functions, would be from my point of view the perfect
solutions.
And if this could be set on a file basis, that would even be better.

Rainer

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)