[O] Question about org-beamer overlays

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [O] Question about org-beamer overlays
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:59:48 -0500

I use beamer for presentations and appreciate the fine-grained control
over effects that it provides. For instance, I can combine overlay
specifications with includegraphics to mix and match different text and
images on the same frame.

\begin{frame}
\frametitle{A Title}

\begin{columns}[c]

\column{2in}
\begin{itemize}
\item \emph{Text on first and second slides}
  \begin{itemize}
  \item<2-> Text on second slide
  \item<2-> \textbf<3>{Text on second slide, bold on third slide}
  \end{itemize}
\end{itemize}

\column{3in}
\includegraphics<1>[height=3in]{image1.jpg} % first slide only
\includegraphics<2>[height=3in]{image2.jpg} % second slide only
\includegraphics<3>[height=3in]{image3.jpg} % third slide only
\end{columns}
\end{frame}

Any ideas how I might accomplish similar effects in org-beamer (without
having too hack up the org file with too much LaTeX code)?

More generally, I'd be curious to learn how others use org beamer. Is
its primary purpose to create "quick and dirty" bullet-point
presentations? I generally find that I have to insert so much LaTeX code
into the org outline that it defeats the purpose of using org for
drafting the presentation. So perhaps I'm too fussy. :)

Any insights and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Matt