Re: [O] Title page in latex export

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Title page in latex export
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:45:08 -0500

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to write my thesis as per my university style. It requires
> I use the \title{Thesis title} command before the
>
> \begin{document}
> \end{document}
>
> Is there any way to do that? Thanks for any thoughts.

This is really a bug in your university's style. Lamport (p.21 of the
second edition) says:

  The \maketitle command comes after the \begin{document}, usually
  before any other text. The \title, \author, and \date commands can
  come *anywhere* before the \maketitle.

[Emphasis added] \title etc. does not have to be in the
preamble. However, there are many styles out there that restrict the
placement of these macros to the preamble, just as your university's
style does (they probably cribbed from each other :-) ), so applying
Lawrence's patch is probably the best long term solution for org.

Nick