[O] Cool feature: Link abbreviations

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: [O] Cool feature: Link abbreviations
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 15:57:15 -0600

Another one of those "I wish I could do X" moments where I
look through org-mode docs and find exactly what I'm looking for.

So, I work for a company where I use an Issue tracking tool, and every issue
has a URL like this:

http://example.com/issues?PRODUCT-XXX

Where XXX is the issue number.

I want to have links to these issues in my company.org file, but I don't
want/need to type long links like this
[[http://example.com/issues?PRODUCT-123][Issue 123]]

I found link abbreviations:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Link-abbreviations.html#Link-abbreviations

So, I could create a variable org-link-abbrev-list, and put it in my
org-mode configuration file.  However, my org-mode config is public on
GitHub, and
I didn't want the company's Issue tracker URL to be public.

Then, I found that you can define abbreviations *directly* in my
customer.org at the top like this:

  #+LINK:issues http://example.com/issues/PRODUCT-

Then link to the issues like this:

* [[issues:123][Issue 123]]