[O] Re: Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some

From: Nicolas
Subject: [O] Re: Simple Indentation question: indentation behaviour changed some time ago.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:51:08 +0100

Hello,

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:

> I do not understand why when pressing TAB being at point ^:
>
>   - item
>
> ^
>
> results in
>
>   - item
>
>     ^
>

> but having
>

>   - item
> TEXT
> ^
>
> and pressing TAB results in
>
>   - item
>   TEXT
>   ^
>
> How can I get the indentation same as with empty lines?

You can't. Once TEXT is typed at column 0, by definition, the list
before is over, and indentation reflects that. And this makes sense: how
could an user end a list if all his text was eventually being inserted
inside the list?

On the other hand, if no text is typed yet, like in your first case, the
list isn't over, and TAB will indent line into the last item of the
list, as if you had typed C-j.

I hope it is clearer now.

Regards,

-- Nicolas