Re: [O] Let's stick to one list for now

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [O] Let's stick to one list for now
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:53:02 -0800

Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 28 2011, Bastien wrote:
>
> The point is that there's no gain in telling people to add "[DEV]" since
> they will forget (I will), and there is _no_ lose by splitting a list. I

Hi Julien,

No, I disagree with that. The two lists would have distinct compositions of the
reader audience and that does have downsides. For example,

- Those participating in a USER thread cannot rely to the same extent on
  DEVs listening, or as easily direct comments to DEVs, without messy
  cross-postings. DEV threads often start life as USER threads; that
  trajectory would be disrupted.

- The probability of pure USERs learning DEV skills is reduced, since
  they have to actively seek the DEV list. I'm another one who came to
  Org as a USER with no abilities in elisp programming.

Dan