Re: [Orgmode] Startup page

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Startup page
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:15:30 +0100

My Emacs startup screen presents two windows: a classic scratch buffer,
and the list of today's appointments from .diary.

This fits my needs well.

I'm not sure it is worth trying to set up a complicated startup buffer.
Depends on your need, of course, but you'll found out that it's always
too rigid: it assumes your buffer can tell you what you want, instead of
*you* telling him what to do.

That's the same problem than selecting the "right" homepage for your
browser.  Finally nearly everyone end up using a search engine webpage,
which is redundant anyway, as browsers now have a websearch field.

The trick is to find out what you want to browse *before* opening your
browser, then open it for that.  Or to find out what you want to do with
Emacs and open it for that.  Don't let predefined affordances drive your
mind, let your mind drive your Emacs :)

--
 Bastien