Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Including TikZ diagrams as figures in export

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Including TikZ diagrams as figures in export
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:57:51 -0700

Jeff Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Erik Iverson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> See http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-LaTeX.html
>> and search for "tikz" for an example.  I think you do need to use the :file
>> argument
>> for this to have org-mode take care of it automatically.
>
> Thanks for the link. I was glad to find out I could include a TikZ
> library in the code block instead of the LaTeX header!
>
>> Alternatively, you could just include *all* the latex you want, including
>> constructing your own figure environment and caption and refs, in the latex
>> code block.
>
> This is the workaround I've used thus far. I don't like it very much,
> since it is fragile w.r.t. HTML export.

I agree this is not ideal.  The solution here is for the Org-mode
exporter to recognize blocks as figure-wrapable items.  This would solve
the above, as well as make it possible to reference exported source
code, verbatim environments, quotes, etc...

I haven't looked at the org exporter to see how large of a change this
would be, however I'll put this on my growing TODO list.

>>> 4) (optional) To be able to seamlessly export to both LaTeX and HTML
>>
>> So should the HTML exporter generate a PNG file then, as opposed to PDF?
>> This is possible, but requires some 'conditional' elisp code in your :file
>> source block argument.  I think I can help if that's indeed what you want.
>
> This would be handy information to have, but definitely not a top
> priority ATM. (That is, if you're busy, feel free to put this on low
> priority!)
>
>>> And somewhat unrelated, is ":results" now deprecated in favor of
>>> ":exports"? What about ":file"? I'm sufficiently new to babel that these all
>>> seem like they could be taken care of with a single header argument with
>>> many options...
>>
>> Not deprecated at all according to my understanding:

:results is not deprecated, the Org manual maintains an up-to-date list
of code block header arguments.
http://orgmode.org/manual/Working-With-Source-Code.html

Cheers -- Eric