Re: [Orgmode] Re: Can I input multiline in a cell?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Can I input multiline in a cell?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:07:25 -0700

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Wang Coeus <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Will org consider to support this in future? I just think org table is
>> more convenient than table.el. Thanks a lot for the help.
>
> As far as I know, its not likely. To my understanding, things like
> table formulae and some of the export functions have trouble dealing
> with it.

In many cases it is possible to "fake" multiline columns e.g.,

| first                  | second                                  |
|------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
| some text here which   |                                         |
| is so long I'd like    |                                         |
| it wrapped             |                                         |
|------------------------+-----------------------------------------|
| some shorter text here |                                         |
|                        | for simple display this works           |
|                        | although I agree the contents won't be  |
|                        | treated as a single cell by spreadsheet |
|                        | formula                                 |

FWIW the lack of multiline cells used to bother me about org-mode
tables, but now I hardly notice their absence, and don't know how I
would use them if they were (with some syntax) supported.

Best -- Eric