Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] "unset" :var definitions for subtree

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] "unset" :var definitions for subtree
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:12:27 -0700

[...]
>> It seems that what you want to do can be described as disabling
>> inheritance of the :var properties for a specific block.
>
> Agreed - that would solve my problem.
>
>> So I'm suggesting that it may be more parsimonious to do this with
>> the existing Org inheritance mechanisms than to introduce new babel
>> header arguments specifically for this purpose.
>
> Agreed here.

If this is possible, then I'm all for it, however I do not think that it
is currently possible to "disinherit" specific properties.  Note: do to
the way babel collects properties, I don't think that temporarily
changing the value of `org-use-property-inheritance' will be sufficient.

[...]
>>> So how can I now define multiple variables?
>>
>> I don't know :)
>
> Could Eric help here?
>

>>> in a properties drawer multiple :var does not work? Could you give a
>>> simple example how to define variables A and B?
>>
>> Yes, I've always been a bit uncomfortable with this. As Eric says, Org
>> properties are supposed to be a bit like a hash, with unique keys.
>
> So based on this, I can only define a single variable per properties drawer?

I'm not sure how this should be solved.  Would it be possible/desirable
to allow multiple settings of the same key in Org-mode properties?  That
seems like it could be a destructive change across all of Org-mode.

Maybe we could extend the :var header argument to support the following
syntax...

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var A=1 B=3
  ;; code
#+end_src

or

** two vars in a properties block
   :PROPERTIES:
   :var:      test1=7 test2=8
   :END:

That shouldn't be overly difficult, and should solve our requirements.

Sound good? -- Eric