Re: [Orgmode] Exporting footnotes

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Exporting footnotes
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:59:16 +0100

Hi Ethan,

Ethan Glasser-Camp <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been playing with the HTML export and it's pretty cool. I just have
> one quibble, which is that footnotes are always put at the end of the
> document. I'd like them to be at the end of each item, which is where I put
> them in my org file -- i.e. I've set org-footnote-section to nil.
>
> I poked around in the code and it looks like the footnotes are being
> normalized, and the normalization function is putting them all at the end
> of the document. Normalization is necessary for the names of footnotes, but
> I think it is too aggressive about moving footnotes.

I agree.

> Are there exporters for which collecting footnotes in one place is
> necessary? I think org-export-as-html could handle keeping the
> footnotes where they are with minimal changes.
>
> Attached is a sketchy patch that does what I want. It's an ugly hack. What
> do you think?

I tested the patch and it does what you want, thanks for it.

It doesn't break footnotes export in LaTeX (good thing!).  I didn't
test for other exporters.

However, it seems to me that org-footnote-normalize does the right thing
when putting every footnotes at a single place -- at least, there should
be a footnote section, even when footnotes live within a subtree.  It'll
make life easier for exporter.

If you don't mind, I first want to do some work on the generic exporter
to decide how to implement your idea.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien