Re: [Orgmode] Extending paste to auto-archive a copied image

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Extending paste to auto-archive a copied image
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:57:34 -0600

Hi Bastien,

Let's say I copy a file from my desktop. If I copy it (C-c) and then
yank into emacs, the filename is pasted.

Now, if I drag and drop it into an emacs buffer, emacs inserts the
contents of the file.

These two scenarios sum up something I think would be an awesome
addition to org, if only we could handle them differently.

For example, when taking notes in org, I often have different
reference sources open (web pages, word documents, pdfs etc), and
would like to insert images. I can already do that manually, and emacs
will even render them. But it takes too much time, and gets me out of
my productive zone.

What I am suggesting is, somehow hook into the moment the file is
pasted/dragged and run some code. This code would get a reference to
the file/contents of the file, save it in a org data directory and
return a URL to it, which would then be pasted in the document like a
regular link, and then iimage-mode would come into action and render
it.

Thanks,

Marcelo.