Re: [Orgmode] Accessing CATEGORY for custom agenda command

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Accessing CATEGORY for custom agenda command
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:39:39 +0100

Hi Markus,

Markus Heller <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to get the following to work:
>
> (org-add-agenda-custom-command
>  '("X" tags "Task"
>    ((org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if
>                               'notregexp "Admin"))
>     (org-agenda-overriding-header "  Test"))))
>

> I want all entries that have the tag "TASK" and that have the category
> "Admin" shown in the agenda.
>
> I set the category in my org files like this:
>
> #+CATEGORY: Admin
> #+FILETAGS: ADMIN
> * Tasks [5/6]                                                        :TASK:
> ** TODO Drop off Stuff
> ** DONE F'up on other stuff

Two problems:

- the tag is "TASK" and your custom agenda command looks for "Task":
  beware of the case

- '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp "Admin") is looking for an
  actual occurrence of the string "Admin" in the subtree -- and there
  is no such occurrence in your .org example.

I suggest you use the CATEGORY property like this:

,----
| #+FILETAGS: ADMIN
|
| * Tasks [5/6]
:Task:
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: Admin
|   :END:
|
| ** TODO Drop off Stuff
| ** DONE F'up on other stuff
`----

With this file, your agenda custom command works.

> I also tried using 'notregexp "ADMIN" to go after the FILETAG, but
> either way, the search yields no hits.

No, 'notregexp will go after actual text in the subtree, not inherited
properties.  If you look for properties, try org-entry-get instead in a
org-agenda-skip-function instead.

> I have the feeling that I'm misunderstanding something pretty badly and
> would appreciate any help :-)

Hope you feel better :)

--
 Bastien