Re: [Orgmode] [BABEL] Editing dot blocks with org-exp-blocks

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [BABEL] Editing dot blocks with org-exp-blocks
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 14:10:19 +0000

Chris Maier <address@hidden> writes:

> The begin_dot is part of org-exp-blocks, as I understand it, and
> appears required to make it evaluate the Dot code, create the image
> file, and then incorporate that into the exported document (LaTeX,
> HTML, etc.)
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:56 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Chris Maier <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> In "normal" Org code blocks (e.g. #+begin_src clojure .... #+end_src)
>>> it's possible to hit C-c ' and edit the block code in a separate
>>> buffer with the appropriate mode.  This doesn't appear to work when
>>> using org-exp-blocks to edit a "begin_dot" block.
>>>
>>> Is there a command to do this?
>>
>> No idea but what about using #+begin_src dot ... #+end_src?
>> --
>> : Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
>> : using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.324.gca7a)

Yes, I know; I used to use begin_dot and begin_ditaa quite a bit.  My
understanding is that babel knows about dot and therefore provides the
same functionality, albeit in a different way, possibly more confusing
but definitely more customisable and hence more powerful.  babel gives
you access to features such as fontification, mode specific editing,
caching.

I am not sure what the intended long term development for these special
export blocks might be?  org's long term growth (development of
features) is organic and responsive, not planned per se (and I mean this
in a positive way as planned software projects seldom achieve their
goals...)  so it may be that nobody can answer this question!

In any case, I didn't mean to imply that you cannot continue using these
specific export blocks or that they don't do the job they were intended
for.  Simply that maybe babel is the route to go if you want to be able
to use mode specific editing.