Re: [Orgmode] Re: Back from FOSDEM

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Back from FOSDEM
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 16:13:55 +0100

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Crotti <address@hidden> writes:

> I was there and you all did a great job, thanks!

Thanks!

> The only things that could be made better imho is the readability.
> The font was too small for all three presenters, and the minibuffer
> unreadable already from the middle of the room.

Yes, I should have tested that before the conference.

> Also something to popup the keys (is there anything like growl for
> linux) would be very useful in this kind of presentation

I tested key-mon (https://code.google.com/p/key-mon/) which looks nice
at first glance, but modifiers keys are only displayed for a limited
time.  E.g. when you keep the control key pressed for C-c C-x C-c, it
will only display Control + c -- then x then c, which might be a bit
confusing.

I would love to hear about other tools for GNU/Linux.

>> Note for later: when talking to hackers, forget about the slides and
>> have direct fun with an Org-mode buffer, display the *magic* of with no
>> taboo -- questions will come along as you hit some neat feature.
>
> Not totally sure, some slides for giving the same background to everyone
> are always useful, and they increase the hype and curiousity to see the
> tool in practice.
>
> I think that in general hackers always don't stand very well magic, they
> would always like to know what key was pressed, what command given and
> so on to do them by themselves.

Fully agreed.

>> One point I made : what's special about Org is that it's a reflexive
>> tool, one that lets you discover the way you work and the way you want
>> to work.  Forget about getting "disciplined" by some external digital
>> secretary, start by having fun discovering yourself with a tool that
>> has virtually no learning curve (or "just" that of Emacs itself...)
>>

> Yes that was a very nice point, might steal it in the future ;)

Steal it! :)

Best,

--
 Bastien