[Orgmode] Re: [babel] How to kill two birds with one stone?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] How to kill two birds with one stone?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 17:51:35 +0100

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison wrote:
> Cool post. I hope someone has some good ideas in this thread. Some quick
>
>> Note, in the latter code block, that I did not even tried to really chain
>> steps 2 and 3: I'm rewriting step 3, including step 2 inside it.
>>
>> *I certainly miss a smarter way* to achieve the above.
>
> I think a relevant point here is that Org doesn't yet have the ability to
> pass data on standard input to a code block. I.e. a :stdin header arg. I
> don't think it's that hard, someone would just need to rework
> `org-babel-eval' so that it puts the code into a temporary file, freeing up
> stdin to be used for data

I think you exactly spotted the problem.

> (and therefore we would no longer be able to use
> shell-command-on-region but some other command (call-process I think?).)

I just don't understand this last sentence, by lack of knowledge on Babel's
internals.

> Then you'd be able to do something like
>
> #+srcname: search-links-and-generate-dot-arrow
> #+header: :stdin search-files-pointing-to-this-file
> #+begin_src sh :results output :var f="charge_dim"
> while read f; do
>     echo "    $(basename $i) -> $f";
> done
> #+end_src
>
> I'll be interested to see the solution to all this.

I've tried to rewrite the example in a much cleaner way, showing what it
should like in the best of the worlds, with a working code at hand...

BTW, I think the following could be of use, with maybe slight modifications,
even for projects like Worg: identifying all relationships between files,
showing files that aren't referenced, etc.

#+TITLE:     Graph file dependencies
#+DATE:      2011-02-06
#+BABEL:    :dir ~/src/Worg