[Orgmode] Exporting footnotes

From: Ethan Glasser-Camp
Subject: [Orgmode] Exporting footnotes
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 04:00:21 -0500

Hi list,

I've been playing with the HTML export and it's pretty cool. I just have one quibble, which is that footnotes are always put at the end of the document. I'd like them to be at the end of each item, which is where I put them in my org file -- i.e. I've set org-footnote-section to nil.

I poked around in the code and it looks like the footnotes are being normalized, and the normalization function is putting them all at the end of the document. Normalization is necessary for the names of footnotes, but I think it is too aggressive about moving footnotes. Are there exporters for which collecting footnotes in one place is necessary? I think org-export-as-html could handle keeping the footnotes where they are with minimal changes.

Attached is a sketchy patch that does what I want. It's an ugly hack. What do you think?

Thanks.

Ethan