Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:28:13 -0500

[I replied privately to the my-own-fault OT part.]

Mark Elston <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/29/2011 12:44 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> I think the only tricky part is somehow push UUIDs during scyning, and
>> then you'll need an operation to merge an org event and an ical event
>> with different UUIDs and remember the foreign UUID for the next sync.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.
>
> I have never made use of any .ical/.ics files so this hasn't been an
> issue for me.  The only UUIDs I am dealing with are google calendar's
> own internal UUIDs.  I don't know how they compare with other UUIDs.

I suspect, but am 100% not sure, that sending events to google calendar
via the command-line tools is conceptually similar to exporting to ical
and doing an import to some ical-style GUI calendar program.

> What I am working on now is a python script to initialize some of the
> info I have in my org files with info from google (including the google
> UUID).  Most of this will go into a property drawer.  This drawer can
> certainly be expanded to contain additional data from other tools as
> necessary.

I think you're thinking the same problem I didn't articulate very well....

  events in iCalendar/etc. systems (including google calendar) have a
  UUID, and those systems typically can accept an existing UUID on
  import

  org events have a UUID, at least after org-mobile-export, and it's
  "ID" in properties drawer.  I'm not sure if these can be used as-is
  when exporting via iCalendar.

  someone might end up with the same event in both systems, but without
  matching UUIDs.  In that case, there needs to be some way to merge
  events and remember both UUIDs so that future syncing keeps the events
  merged.

> What I would like is to be able to shuffle my schedule in org as it is
> often a more convenient interface for this than *any* calendar I have
> used for the kinds of things I have to do.  Once I get the dates/times
> for individual events the way I want them I would then push them to
> google (or wherever).  My notes and other useful data stay in org.

Agreed; this is what I would like to do also.  But I would like to also
be able to change a time in [non-org scheduling program] or add an event
(perhaps via a mailed iCalendar invitation) and have those flow into
org.

ical export seems to be present in org, but I found duplicated events
after multiple exports.  I need to find time to try it more and either
fix it or construct a good bug report.