Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Mark Elston
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:36:14 -0800

On 1/29/2011 12:44 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Mark Elston<address@hidden>  writes:

   [google calendar]

I wasn't all that keen on it at first but I really got to like it when
I was able to update my calendar from my phone or my laptop or my
desktop at work and all three would see it.

When I found I could create multiple calendars and share *some* of them
I really started to enjoy the idea of a central server for my calendar
data.

You are blurring having a calendar server and being forced into sharing
your data with google because of using non-free software that is
crippled by not being able to set the server URL.

I pointed out in a different thread that the software I use doesn't
*require* syncing with google, but can work very nicely as an offline
calendar.  I use the google server for the reasons I gave.

org syncing with a calendar server makes a lot of sense to me, but again
that's separate from a "the only usable calendar server is google".

That wasn't my intent.  I use google since it is convenient and
available everywhere I have a network connection (or 3G with my
phone).  If another service came along that fit my needs as well or
better I would certainly take a look at it.

I think the only tricky part is somehow push UUIDs during scyning, and
then you'll need an operation to merge an org event and an ical event
with different UUIDs and remember the foreign UUID for the next sync.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I have never made use of any .ical/.ics files so this hasn't been an
issue for me.  The only UUIDs I am dealing with are google calendar's
own internal UUIDs.  I don't know how they compare with other UUIDs.
What I am working on now is a python script to initialize some of the
info I have in my org files with info from google (including the google
UUID).  Most of this will go into a property drawer.  This drawer can
certainly be expanded to contain additional data from other tools as
necessary.

What I would like is to be able to shuffle my schedule in org as it is
often a more convenient interface for this than *any* calendar I have
used for the kinds of things I have to do.  Once I get the dates/times
for individual events the way I want them I would then push them to
google (or wherever).  My notes and other useful data stay in org.

That is what I will be working on as I have the time.

Mark