Re: [Orgmode] Encrypting org-mode files

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Encrypting org-mode files
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 21:47:41 +0000

Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 26 2011, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to use full encryption and still have it integrate
>> seamlessly with the org agenda?
>
> Create a file named myfile.org.gpg, and EPA should kicks in and store it
> crypted. Then just add this file to the list of org-agenda-files. EPA
> will ask your passphrase to decrypt in on opening.

I've been using org.gpg files for a while for encrypting information
and everything works just fine.  However, trying to add such a file to
my org-agenda-files list means I end up having to type in my passphrase
quite often.  I know that EPA will allow caching of passphrases but this
is discouraged for security reasons.  Instead, one is advised to use
gnupg-agent.

Does anybody have any experience with gnupg-agent?  It's working, in
that I get prompted for my passphrase and the files are decrypted (or
encrypted, as the case may be) but my passphrase is not cached.  I have
configured my ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf file with:

debug-level advanced
default-cache-ttl 14400
log-file /home/ucecesf/tmp/gpg-agent-log
max-cache-ttl 14400
pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry

and it does seem to be used (debugging is enabled and so is the log
file).  However, still not caching.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.259.ge612d.dirty)