Re: [Orgmode] Bug: Linum-mode + org-indent-mode gives strange graphical

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug: Linum-mode + org-indent-mode gives strange graphical refresh bugs [7.4 (release_7.4.41.g96c70)]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:50:24 +0100

On Jan 23, 2011, at 2:51 PM, David Maus wrote:

At Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:13:48 +1100,
Chris Barber wrote:

Note: run using emacs -q as the bug was reproducible, and this will
produce less settings that may complicate the report.
Note: only a few months of unix and emacs usage

When using org-indent-mode and linum-mode simultaneously, clicking on
any line in an org-mode file will cause the cursor and text on the line to quickly shift back a few spaces, and the line number for that line to disappear, and then after a fraction of a second it will return to normal.

Other issues: without linum-mode enabled, and with org-indent-mode,
clicking on a line that has a link will cause the underline from the
link to extend to the left margin temporarily, similar to the bug
described above - however the text does not shift to the left like the
previous situation.

I can reproduce this with

Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.215.g1350)

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
of 2010-12-11 on raven, modified by Debian

Org-mode used line-profix properties to add indentation, and
linum mode uses before-string properties of overlays to add
line numbers.  Both these features add text at display time,
but apparently not in an entirely predictable way.  I have no
idea it it is possible to make both work without any gliches.
If anything, this would be a bug report to Emacs, I think.

The "other issue" is an artefact of Org using an idle time
to update indentation properties.  Here my suggestion
would be to ignore the issue and live with it.

- Carsten

Best,
 -- David
--