[Orgmode] Re: Make text below heading not part of the heading

From: Leo Alekseyev
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Make text below heading not part of the heading
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:14:30 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Moe <mail <at> christianmoe.com> writes:

> For my money, it's neither bug nor feature, but a (minor) restriction
> that follows from the (hugely enabling) feature of simple-to-use
> outline folding. An exception would be an added feature. For my part,
> I've not yet had a use case where inserting an extra heading was not a
> satisfactory solution.

Christian is right that it's just a design limitation, but he makes it sound
like the restriction follows from having simple-to-use folding, or that because
simple folding is so useful by itself, we can overlook minor inconveniences like
lack of fine-grained control over folding.

I disagree.  I would argue that _because_ folding and outlining is so central to
org mode's usefulness, it would be good to introduce better control over
folding.  I, for one, would like to see a feature like Marcelo suggests.
Implementing it the way he describes would probably be somewhat non-trivial,
because it does interfere with the fundamental model of an org document.
However, there are very simple ways to achieve the desired effect.  For
instance, a special mark-up of a heading (e.g. * ~~ heading) could be made
equivalent to setting the visibility:true property.  I've played with the
relevant code in org.el, and it wouldn't be hard to implement.

Another example where I would very much like to see more control over folding
are the #+begin_src/#+end_src, #+begin_example/#+end_example, etc. blocks.  In
particular, I'd like an option to see #+begin... blocks in the outline view as
I'm cycling through visibility with shift-tab.  In a lengthy org-babel document,
such an ability would be invaluable.

In short, for complicated org documents with many outline levels, visiblity
requirements, :DETAILS: drawers and #+begin/#+end blocks, the current level of
control over folding is not entirely satisfactory. It doesn't look hard to fix,
but unfortunately it seems that everyone is content with the status quo...

--Leo