Re: [Orgmode] org-mode without stars

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode without stars
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:57:22 -0700

Hi Bayle,

On 2011-01-22, Bayle Shanks <address@hidden> wrote:
> get new laptop
>
> organize interstellar dust meeting
>  book the meeting room
>  organize LOC
>  Invited speakers
>   - Draine
>   - Tielens
>   - Hollenbach
>  1st announcement
>
> fix the bell in the hall

I indent by spaces by 2 a lot to save typing.  c-c - and c-c * will
convert.  They do not handle indentation, but that might be a very
useful feature (I would use it too).

This does handle indentation.  I wrote it a very long time ago for a
different, 8-space indentation.

(defun alpha-orgify ()
  "quick hack.  create org format from my indented outline
format, which consists of 8-space indentation.  operate on the
region.  assume a certain number of stars and odd levels."
  (interactive)
  (let ((b (region-beginning))
        (e (region-end))
        ;;manually mod for now.  headline vs. bullet.
        (bulletp nil))
    (loop
       while
         (progn
           (save-excursion
             ;;use (re-)search-forward and replace-match when no query?  i'd
             ;;prefer without the pattern (i.e. just ^) but you might be
             ;;re-orgifying an already-orgified region.  btw match-string is
             ;;how you get the string.
             (perform-replace "^\\([^*]\\)"
                              (if bulletp
                                  "  \\1"
                                "*** \\1")
                              t         ;interactive
                              t nil nil nil
                              e))
           (save-excursion
             (perform-replace "        "
                              (if bulletp
                                  "  "
                                "**")
                              t         ;interactive
                              t nil nil nil
                              e))
           (when bulletp
             (progn
               ;;how to make it greedy?
               (perform-replace "^\\( +\\)\\([^ ]\\)" "\\1- \\2"
                                t         ;interactive
                                t nil nil nil)))))))

Samuel

--