[Orgmode] Re: [BUG/PATCH] Set fill-indent-according-to-mode to nil in Or

From: Lawrence Mitchell
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [BUG/PATCH] Set fill-indent-according-to-mode to nil in Org buffers
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:21:38 +0000

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,

>> This is defeated by the indentation code, which does not recognise
>> sublists correctly and gets the indentation wrong.

> Would you mind elaborating? I fail to see where the indentation code
> has some problem recognizing lists.

Hopefully the example below clears things up a bit.

>> By setting `fill-indent-according-to-mode' to nil, we tell Emacs'
>> filling code to pay attention to `adaptive-fill-prefix' rather than
>> using `indent-line-function'.

> Not using `org-indent-line-function' sounds like a very bad idea to
> me. Before ignoring this function, perhaps we could try to see what is
> wrong with it.

>> This is not a perfect solution, since refilling a list entry still
>> does not work correctly unless the entire item is on a single line.

> Huh? Again, could you provide an example, please?

emacs -Q

C-x C-f $TMP/foo.org

M-: (erase-buffer) RET

M-x auto-fill-mode RET

M-: (insert "* Header\n- List entry\n  - Sublist entry") RET

Now type some more text so that the sublist entry line goes past
the fill column.  Note where the line-wrapping puts the
continuation of the sublist entry:

1 | * Header
2 | - List entry
3 |   - Sublist entry here we have some more text to make the line very
4 |   very long and trigger line-wrapping.

So the text on line 4 is considered to be part of the sublist
entry, while I would expect it to be so (it would have been if
auto-fill-mode were off).

If fill-indent-according-to-mode is set to nil then doing the
same thing leads to:

1 | * Header
2 | - List entry
3 |   - Sublist entry here we have some more text to make the line very
4 |     very long and trigger line-wrapping.

Notice how in this case the continuation of the sublist entry is
correct.

Furthermore, if you've formatted the document as in the second
example by hand, but fill-indent-according-to-mode is t, and you
hit M-q on the sublist entry, the indentation of line 4 is
changed from 4 spaces to 2 spaces.  This changes line 4 from
being part of the sublist entry to being part of the list entry
from line 2.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,

Lawrence