Re: [Orgmode] Blogging from org-mode

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Blogging from org-mode
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:28:53 -0600

Hello,

On 2011-01-17, Erik Iverson<address@hidden>  wrote:
I also simply use weblogger.el
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WebloggerMode)

I made the mistake of trying this, thinking it had no dependencies
other than the other .el file so would be easier.  It looks
potentially useful.

I looked at 2 versions of this, and both had the same version number,
but the code was different.  That's a slightly bad sign.

   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/40758914/weblogger.el

http://windows-config.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/.emacs_d/weblogger/weblogger.el

Also, there is a compiler warning for obsolete variable, so the code
might be old?

Finally, I couldn't figure out the basics.  Just to confirm, this
takes HTML and posts it?  It does not make this clear.

Yes, you can set up a blog by first doing:

    M-x weblogger-setup-weblog RET

But there were some quirks when I tried this with Drupal 6. I think I had to have at least one post already in the blog before it worked. But after that, I was able to weblogger with the function defined in the link below to post to Drupal.

combined with a really easy function defined at
http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/77 to post to blogs including Drupal.

What does your really easy function do that weblogger.el does not do?

Weblogger just sends the HTML to the blog, and lets you edit existing entries. It does not produce the actual HTML.

The function from randomsample.de exports an Org-mode buffer to HTML and "massages" the HTML output to be of a form that blogs like. I.e., gets rid of the headers. Weblogger has nothing to do with org-mode per se, it just lets you post content to blogs that support XMLRPC.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes, so I hope it helps. This method isn't completely clean, but it did work for me with Drupal 6 (but haven't gotten it to work yet in Drupal 7...)

As usual, there's more than a few ways to do things, so the more options the better in my opinion.