Re: [Orgmode] Re: [bug] org-store-link on gnus message fails

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [bug] org-store-link on gnus message fails
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:48:57 +0000

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>>> this patch should do the trick. I think the issue was a malformed Date:
>>> header that couldn't be converted to a timestamp.
>>
>> Actually, I am curious about this. What is the point of extracting the date
>> in any case? It's used to store link properties but I don't understand where
>> these properties can be used? I'm asking in case I'm missing a useful
>> functionality I hadn't thought of...
>
> Well, I often (now) keep extracts of mail in my Org buffers. Via a capture
> template[1], these get a TODO keyword, a SCHEDULED date (by default, set to
> today), a link to the Gnus message (or http link to Gmane) and the date of the
> mail.
>
> Why keeping the date of the original mail?  Because it's interested to see,
> when scanning which emails I still have to answer on, when they've been
> issued -- without having to follow on the link.
>
> It is an indication of the age of the mail, that could serve as well for
> sorting the subtrees (if I'm not wrong -- I don't use that feature but...).
>
> Does this answer your question?

Seb,

it does indeed.  Many thanks, and also for the emacs lisp code that
shows how to use the extra link information.  I wouldn't need to use
this information in the way you do because my capture template for task
creation, which is usually what I do as a result of emails, is based on
a date tree...  but it's still very useful to see other ways of handling
the information overflow we have!

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.174.g163cd)