[Orgmode] Re: Property inheritance for MAIL_FMT, MAIL_TO, MAIL_CC and MA

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Property inheritance for MAIL_FMT, MAIL_TO, MAIL_CC and MAIL_BCC
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:29:19 +0100

Hi Eric and Niels,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> niels giesen <address@hidden> writes:
>> Please see the patch below, it adds property inheritance for all
>> MAIL_* properties, based on the value of
>> `org-use-property-inheritance'.
>
> Thanks for the patch, and for the motivating usage example. -- Eric

If I understand correctly, one must enable =org-use-property-inheritance= for
the above to be in effect.

Though, this is discouraged in the doc:

    ,----
    | org-use-property-inheritance is a variable defined in `org.el'.
    | Its value is nil
    |
    | Documentation:
    | Non-nil means properties apply also for sublevels.
    |
    | This setting is chiefly used during property searches.  Turning it on can
    | cause significant overhead when doing a search, which is why it is not
    | on by default.
    `----

Couldn't we either:

- consider the MAIL_* properties as the *_ALL ones that well have inheritance
  enabled by default?

    ,----
    | However, note that some special properties use inheritance under special
    | circumstances (not in searches).  Examples are CATEGORY, ARCHIVE, COLUMNS,
    | and the properties ending in "_ALL" when they are used as descriptor
    | for valid values of a property.
    `----

- have a setting allowing for the inheritance of just these special
  properties, as an extra, in order not to penalize too much the searches?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban