[Orgmode] Re: tags/search on specific files

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: tags/search on specific files
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 06:25:26 -0500

knubee <address@hidden> writes:

> i would like to use some org-mode functionality for linking,
> tagging, and searching files that are not specified in the
> org-mode variables of .emacs file.
>
> i thought that i would be able to create a file, work on it in
> org-mode to create links and tags, and then be able to follow
> those links and search on those tags.  after working on such a
> file, linking works fine. but although running "C-c \" [tag]
> does "highlight" lines that have the tag, it also displays all
> the other items. (by contrast, "C-c a m" [tag] will display only
> the specific tagged items for the agenda file(s) specified in
> .emacs)
>
> is there a way to do this that i am missing? either by providing
> a file name as an argument or some other command that will return
> such a view for the active buffer. (one reason i don't want to
> add the specific file to the list of files that org-mode
> automatically tracks is that i want to restrict my searching of
> tags to specific files. but maybe i am not thinking about this
> the right way.)
>
> thanks.

Hi knubee,

As long as your file is in org-mode that should work fine.  You can run
an agenda just on the current file in multiple ways:

C-c a 1 m
  will run the tags match command on the current file only

If you want to use multiple agenda commands you can enable the agenda
restriction lock as follows

  - on the first line of an org-mode file (before the first heading) do
    C-c C-x <
    You do this on a #+STARTUP: line or on a blank line before the first
    heading

All subsequent agenda commands will only consider this one file until
you remove the restriction lock with C-c C-x >

HTH,
Bernt