[Orgmode] Re: Improving org-goto isearch

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Improving org-goto isearch
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 22:37:54 -0500

Leo Alekseyev <address@hidden> writes:

> I use org-goto to quickly jump to a heading that I know contains a
> certain word.  More often than not, it's a 2nd, 3rd, ... level
> heading.  I've been relying on org-goto for many months, but both of
> the current interfaces leave something to be desired.
>
> Let's say I want to be on heading FOO.  Right now, I am looking at the
> outline headings+children tree.  I see FOO somewhere in the hierarchy.
>  Now, my options are: C-c C-j, the default interface, which spawns a
> new temp buffer; it overtakes my split-screen workspace (intrusive and
> potentially slow).  Then I have to isearch for FOO and hit C-s until I
> land on the correct heading.  In the process, the intermediate
> headings that contain FOO will be unfolded (intrusive).

I would recommend setting org-goto-interface to
'outline-path-completion. :)

> My second option is C-u C-c C-j, the ido/path completion interface
> (which only functions provided (setq
> org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil) is set).  Now, the outline
> looks completely different because it's all thrown in one big pile in
> the minibuffer.  I type FOO, but as luck has it, I have 10 headings
> that contain FOO, so I either have to C-s a bunch of times to cycle
> through them, or type out the whole tree hierarchy that led to it;
> when you make a typo, ido often slows to a crawl...  It can get
> annoying.

You can use the alternative interface without ido. I find the following
settings work quite well, resulting in an alphabetical list of headlines
in the minibuffer, from which I can drill down to lower levels:

(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps t)
(setq org-completion-use-ido nil)

You could bind these locally in a custom function if you don't want to
interfere with refile settings.

> Here is what I would like to see: the default interface of org-goto,
> with the following changes:
> (a) don't bother with the temp buffer at all.  If a temp buffer
> absolutely has to be created, then don't mess with the layout of the
> windows; just let it replace the working org-buffer window.
> (b) when isearching through headings, don't unfold things that are folded.
>
> In other words, I simply want the capability to isearch through
> headings in an org buffer without messing with its folding state.

Doesn't a simple isearch in the current org buffer already do this? The
outline is temporarily unfolded for each match, but it is neatly folded
up again if you keep pressing C-s.

Best,
Matt