Re: [Orgmode] Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:15:31 -0500

Ian Barton <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> $ make doc/org
> >>
> >> The above command will create a file named 'org' in the doc directory.
> >>
> >> Once this is done alter `Info-directory-list' with the following line in
> >> your init file.
> >>
> >> (push "~/path/to/git/root/doc/" Info-directory-list)
> >>
> >> If you get some surprises, you can do a C-h v Info-directory-list and
> >> make sure that the order of the dirs is just as you want it.
> >>
> > I have been struggling to get the info from the git repo to display in
> > Emacs, rather than the default info.
> >
> > In my .emacs I have: (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
> > "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/")
> >
> > C-h v Info-directory-list shows:
> >
> > Info-directory-list's value is
> > ("~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/" "/usr/share/info/emacs-23"
> > "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
> >

> > However, I still get the info file for org 6.36.trans displayed. If I do:
> >
> > info ~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org
> >
> > I get the correct git version of the info file. So what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > I am using:
> >
> > GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.6)
> > of 2010-09-01 on americium, modified by Debian
> >

> I have managed to get it to display the correct info file by binding a
> function key like:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f9> i") (lambda ()
>                                  (interactive)
>                                  (info
>
> "~/Private/Dropbox/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org")))
>
> This seems to be a bit of a sledgehammer/nut solution though.

I have vague recollections of struggling with Info customization many
years ago. I finally worked around the problem by explicitly setting my
INFOPATH env variable appropriately in my .profile, so that when emacs
starts up, it knows where to look.

Of course, making sure that some shell init file gets executed at login
time in a "modern" desktop environment (I use the Gnome desktop on
Linux) is a battle as well, but at least that only has to be figured out
once: I set it up back in Ubuntu Dapper days and I have not touched it
since then. If it ever breaks, I will be tempted to chuck the whole thing
out the window...

Nick