Re: [Orgmode] Re: Need help with org and SSH

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Need help with org and SSH
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:07:41 -0500

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jeff Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The recursion happens with the function 'file-truename' according to
>> my message buffer. Maybe it's something in my config, afterall?
>>

> C-h f file-truename says
>
> ,----
> | file-truename is a compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
> |
> | (file-truename FILENAME)
> |
> | Return the truename of FILENAME, which should be absolute.
> | The truename of a file name is found by chasing symbolic links
> | both at the level of the file and at the level of the directories
> | containing it, until no links are left at any level.
> |
> `----
>
> file-truename is smart enough to detect symlink loops (it has a counter
> that starts at 100 and decrements on every dereference: if it ever gets
> negative, watch out) and recursion seems to occur when it steps to the
> parent directory and tries to find *its* truename - but there seem to be
> adequate safeguards to prevent bottomless recursion (e.g. the remaining
> counter is passed to subsequent calls).
>
> It might be a good exercise to start with whatever file it's failing on
> and then look at both it and all its parent directories (with ls -l if
> you are on Linus/OSX/BSD/other Unix variant), taking a jaundiced look at
> any symlinks you find on the way.
>
> Nick

NIck, thanks for your thorough reply. I thought having "~" in my org
path might have been triggering it, but it isn't. I've reduced my
org-agenda files down to just one, tasks.org, which live in "org" in
my dropbox folder. This folder is symlinked to "~/org" for
ease-of-use.

I enabled debug-on-quit and tried looking at the backtrace while the
agenda was hanging. Somewhere along the way, many lines before the
error occurs, "~/org" is *correctly* translated as
"/Users/jeffreyhorn/Dropbox/org". The error is occurring immediately
after org "prepares buffers" (the org files). The last few lines of
the backtrace are:

org-agenda(nil)
call-interactively(org-agenda nil nil)

I'll try moving the agenda file to my home directory and see what happens.

(interlude)

OK. I created a very simple two line org file with a single todo and
placed it in my home directory. Starting a new emacs session and
visiting the file is enough to trigger the error. Visiting a buffer of
another type (text for instance) *also* produces this error.

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
address@hidden
address@hidden

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/