Re: [Orgmode] Re: Need help with org and SSH

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Need help with org and SSH
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:32:58 -0500

Jeff Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> The recursion happens with the function 'file-truename' according to
> my message buffer. Maybe it's something in my config, afterall?

C-h f file-truename says

,----
| file-truename is a compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
|
| (file-truename FILENAME)
|
| Return the truename of FILENAME, which should be absolute.
| The truename of a file name is found by chasing symbolic links
| both at the level of the file and at the level of the directories
| containing it, until no links are left at any level.

`----

file-truename is smart enough to detect symlink loops (it has a counter
that starts at 100 and decrements on every dereference: if it ever gets
negative, watch out) and recursion seems to occur when it steps to the
parent directory and tries to find *its* truename - but there seem to be
adequate safeguards to prevent bottomless recursion (e.g. the remaining
counter is passed to subsequent calls).

It might be a good exercise to start with whatever file it's failing on
and then look at both it and all its parent directories (with ls -l if
you are on Linus/OSX/BSD/other Unix variant), taking a jaundiced look at
any symlinks you find on the way.

Nick