Re: [Orgmode] Disputed keys

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Disputed keys
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:49:53 -0800

On Sunday 19 December 2010 11:20 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
Andrea Crotti<address@hidden>  writes:

I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that orgmode
uses.

I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys

[(meta left)]
             Value: [(meta control left)]
[(meta right)]
             Value: [(meta control right)]

but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...

Isn't switching to frame a function of your window manager and not
emacs?  That is, shouldn't this be a case of telling your window manage,
whatever that may be, to switch frames when these keys are pressed?

Or am I missing something fundamental here?

I think Andrea meant to say switching window. But none the less, Emacs has the ability to switch frames, `C-x 5 o' or even your regular `switch-buffer'. But I think it does it by talking to the window manager.

This can be very useful when you have multiple emacs frames for one instance of emacs on different desktops. If you have configured your window manager appropriately simply switching to a buffer shown on another desktop can switch you to that desktop and raise the Emacs frame with the buffer. :)

--
Suvayu