[Orgmode] Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:48:40 -0500

Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:

> I am looking for hints.  I have a number of org files, typically one for
> each major project plus two or three for my personal life.
>
> These must often live in different revision control systems: my work
> projects, in particular, have different repositories; I have a main set
> of org files for work in ~/org/, tracked by my employers' svn;
> occasionally, I do something outside, like work on a paper with someone
> outside my company in a dedicated git repo; and I'd like to stuff my
> personal materials off in a git repo of my own.
>
> I have been pulling all of these together into my ~/org directory, using
> symbolic links, for the benefit of mobile org.  That is, my ~/org
> directory has my main work org files, plus links to a bunch of others.
>
> That works well for syncing with mobile org.  Unfortunately, it's a mess
> for Emacs's version control mode.  VC mode sees the .svn directory in
> that place, and can handle the local files, but gets horribly confused
> by the sym-linked files.
>
> Anyone have a similar need to gather together a mess of org files, and
> have a cleaner solution?
>
> Extra credit if you have a way of creating the same set of symlinks on
> more than one machine! ;-)

How about keeping the separate projects in separate repositories and
just add the files from those multiple projects to your org-agenda-files
variable?

Then you see a consolidated view of multiple org projects (and the files
that contribute to that view can be individually set per machine - you
don't need all projects for all machines - but any repositories that are
available can contribute to your agenda.

Each of the projects are completely independent and don't need to know
about each other - just the org-agenda-files variable pulls them into
your agenda view.

Regards,
Bernt