[Orgmode] Re: Huge performance problems to open some Org files

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Huge performance problems to open some Org files
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:55:21 +0100

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> I've real performance problems for opening some Org files. Just some,
> hopefully. I don't remember having those problems when I was on Ubuntu, and I
> must already have opened it, back then, but... Anyway, I'm now (forced) on
> Windows, and I have the problem.

I don't think org itself is to blame, but I can think of two things that
may produce such a performance hit:

1) If the file is under version control, specifically git, the file stat
operations take very long on Windows since Windows' idea of file state
needs to be translated to POSIX semantics.  Not only that, they take
very long each time you open or save that file since they aren't
cacheable (TortoiseGit tries to do it anyway, but that cache daemon
likes to crash very frequently).  MSysGit is faster than Cygwin, but
still much slower than anything you know from Linux.

2) Another thing I've hit on in the past is not really Windows specific:
if your document uses characters that your standard font does not
encode, a search for a replacement font with that character is started
the first time each of those characters is found.  Depending on how many
fonts are installed and what the search order is, this can take a very
long time.  However, the second and following times of opening that
document in the same session is then much faster.

HTH,
Achim.