[Orgmode] Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using n

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:07:22 -0600

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:40:18 -0500 Dan Christensen <address@hidden> wrote:

DC> Tommy Kelly <address@hidden> writes:
>> Here's the link to your reply to me:
>>
>> [[gnus:address@hidden from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

DC> Since this stores the group name and the message-id, it should work across
DC> different Gnus sessions.

>> The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
>> *move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the
>> link.

DC> That makes sense, since the link refers to the group.

DC> I believe the Gnus registry can keep track of the message ID --> group
DC> mapping, so org-mode could use this if the article isn't found in the
DC> expected group and the user has the registry enabled.

Yes, but it can fail (it doesn't catch external moves and the user can
limit the registry size to save memory).  See nnregistry.el for an
example of how to use `gnus-refer-article-method' with the registry.  So
maybe the org-mode Gnus integration can use gnus-refer-article-method,
if it doesn't already, and let the user decide if the registry should be
part of the refer search path.

Ted