[Orgmode] Embedding the style when exporting to HTML

From: Francesco Pizzolante
Subject: [Orgmode] Embedding the style when exporting to HTML
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:54:17 +0100

Hi,

I'm still in the process of managing a project with Org while trying to
evangelize my colleagues to Org. The goal is to share documents in the
simplest possible way.

What I'm trying to do is to have my style be embedded (inline) to my exported
HTML file.

Today, it can done by customizing org-export-html-style or add my whole style
in my Org buffer with the #+STYLE directive.

This has the following disadvantages:

- I have to share my .emacs file with my customizations in order for other
  people be able to export the Org file as required. Thus if someone has
  another configuration file, it will not work;

- The style itself (the CSS) is not easily testable and not separate from the
  data (it is included in my Org file or in my .emacs).

It would be good to specify a file for the style in the Org buffer itself and
have an option telling Org if the style has to be embedded (or inline) to the
exported HTML or not.

Having this option has the following advantages:

- my exported file is self-contained and is easily shareable;

- anybody can export the Org file and will get the desired result (even with a
  different Emacs config);

- the CSS itself is easily testable and maintainable by different guys and
  can even be a different project.

What do you think?

Is it possible to achieve this with the current version of Org?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Regards,
Francesco